Thursday, June 19, 2008

True Sports Fan

With the Celtics beating the Lakers in the NBA Finals, I got to thinking about being a true sports fan. Why? you may ask do I care about the Celtics or the Lakers? I don't really, since I am a dyed in the wool Jazz fan, but here's the deal - I "HATE" the Lakers almost as much as I LOVE the Jazz! ALMOST And I'm sure many of you have heard my feelings on Kobe and Fischer. And really, I'd never cheer for any other team in the west, no matter what. It's all about the Jazz!!!! And I put "Hate" in quotes because Griffin would get mad at me and say I was using a bad word if he heard me say that, so I DISLIKE GREATLY the rivals of my favorite teams :-D

**NOTE: The 20 rules for being a TRUE FAN are now available at the bottom of this blog. It's by the Sports Guy who is a RABID Boston fan, seeing as he is from there (so he's probably still passed out from the Celtics winning the title). The list is also a bit dated, but still very relevant. So, if you have any questions as to your appropriate level of fandom, please scroll down to the bottom of this blog**




I've had some friends say that "HATING" another team just makes you a hater and not a true sports fan. I call shenanigans! The whole point of competition is to want your most hated rival to lose while your team wins! It's a zero sum game and you want your team to win and the rival to lose ALWAYS!!!!


I "HATE" the Cougs nearly as much as I LOVE the Utes!



I "hate" Chelsea almost as much as I love ManU!



I "hate" the Mildcats almost as much as I love the Sun Devils!



I do "hate" Colorado as much as I love Real (Real need to get better FAST!)

And I don't really care much about Baseball, but I am a D-Backs fan since I lived there when they were brand new and I went to the first game of their existence and I went to Game 1 of the World Series when they beat the Yankees (and I do "hate" the Yankees)!

So, chime in and let me know what you think. I think people who pull for their rival team at any point are lame fans. I don't care about conference, State, or any other excuse. You don't cheer for your rival team under any circumstances. And you argue for your team no matter how irrational it may be. Your team is ALWAYS better no matter what. B-)

And that said, GO JAZZ! Next year is our year!!!

No comments:

Some of my favorite Griff pics - pre-blog