Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Text vs. Talk

The great debate these days is text vs talk - no it's not Lauren vs. Heidi, no matter how badly you want it to be. I know Paul is not a big fan of the texting, yet I know I am :-D

Why has texting become so popular? Here's my opinion: you don't have to be immediately available, nor do you have to think as quickly as you do when talking. Texting gives you the chance to think about and SEE and edit your responses. You can take as much time as you need to formulate the response and generally responses are very short and succinct (frankly I'm surprised more men don't like texting as that's how we prefer to communicate - short and sweet ;-) ) I think it helps keep conversations going. Where normally you just zip right through a conversation, with text you get the welcome break in between messages - keeps you busy just a little while longer.

Texting works great when you're at a sporting event (or church ;-) <----winking meaning I'm being sly ) and it's either too loud to talk or you need to keep quiet (make sure the ringer is off, of course...)

What is the downside to texting? It's hard to determine tone. Without being able to hear the person or see facial expressions it's hard to know what the words really mean sometimes. Then you have to resort to using the smileys, and well, those don't help much either. Is that a big deal? Probably not, but it could result in miscommunication.

Any other downside to texting? Some people have a hard time with the predictive text. Just get a text from Reece when he's in a hurry and hope you have a translator ring. :-D (see that's a big smiley face indicating I'm kidding!)

There are apparently certain topics you can't broach using text:

1) Will you go out with me?
2) I'm breaking up with you!
3) You're being audited
4) Your dog died
5) I just wrecked your car
6) (Basically any Country Music topic)


Topics that really work well for text:

1) GOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAALLLLL!!!!!!!!
2) D WILL!!!!!!!!
3) I really like that Sunday School lesson


Oh, and sometimes when you're texting you smash up your sideview mirror, so be careful with that.

At least with unlimited text I never have to worry about going over my minutes.

There you go, ponder that for a while...

1 comment:

Rylee said...

I am for sure a fan of texting. And yes I do agree with you, Reece needs to look over his and edit his a lot.

Some of my favorite Griff pics - pre-blog