Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Griff started Soccer today!

Griff had his first soccer practice today! I'm So proud and excited. I'm trying really hard to not be the psycho sports dad, but I really want Griff to be good at things, whether it's soccer or school, or whatever. But, I promise I'll be good. He is only 5 and I promise I will not get kicked out of any games, nor will I yell at the coach or refs, or any of the little girls on his team. Yeah, it's a "co-ed" team. I do have to say, this whole thing is SO different from when I played sports. We played on the bigger fields, and had full size goals - oh, and we had winners and losers! I never liked losing, but I understood it as a necessary part of competition at some point (maybe by the time I was about 25??? :-D ) And I don't think we ever had girls on our teams??? My dad will have to verify that, maybe one girl on our t-ball team once? I think she quit half-way through the season ;-)

The best part was when I was on a junior Jazz team with my friend Curt and he was the smallest guy on the team. I will find that pic and scan it and post it here so his son can see it and not feel bad about being a runt (he's 6-months old hahahahahahaha)

Anyway, back to Griff, he just had a lot of fun playing soccer, which is the most important thing right now, but I will have him scoring goals like Ronaldo by the time he's 10 - I'll also ship him off to the ManU academy at that time when the call comes. MLS? Pfft, it's EPL by the time he's 16!

I'll have plenty of pics and video as the season goes along. :-)

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Hey be careful, Kaja is one of those "token" girls on a team!!

Rylee said...

Girls can play sports too, and be pretty darn good at them! What sports did you play in High School Ryan?? JK!

Ryan Hadlock said...

I don't have any problem with girls playing sports, just not on boy's teams ;-)

And Rylee, if I had grown up in Eager, I would have lettered in EVERY sport - all four years :-D

Rylee said...

pretty sure you didn't answer my question!

Ryan Hadlock said...

:-D

I played Indian Ball, Jam ball, and Smear the Queer.

Some of my favorite Griff pics - pre-blog