Monday, August 25, 2008

Griff 8/23 Soccer update

Well, the reality of sports came crashing down on Griff and his team Saturday in their soccer match. They got blown out, didn't score any goals and basically melted on the field (It was HOT!) Griff was a little disappointed after the match, but I think this is a really important lesson (one I had a REALLY hard time with when I was younger, and I still don't like ;-) ) but losing is part of sports and you have to learn how to deal with it. So, Griff and I had a little talk after the game about understanding that sometimes you lose but you practice harder, you work harder next time and try to do better and learn!

I will vent just a little bit about this game though, Griff's coaches don't hold practices I guess and it really shows. I realize these kids are 5 and this is definitely not life or death, but the kids need to learn SOMETHING about the game! The kids on Griff's team will have a break away toward the goal and they all STOP at the white line that defines the penalty box (the big box in front of the goal for you Soccer newbies). So they had many opportunities to score but would stop short and just let the goalkeeper scoop up the ball every time. The coach needs to let the kids know they don't have to stop at the line, they can run the ball right into the net if they have the chance! Anyway...

Here are some pics from Griff's last game that I hadn't posted yet (these blow up big if you click them):


Griff in his Uniform, with new cleats and shinpads (and he needs them! :-D )


Griff as Goalie - not his best position but he did stop a shot!


Griff giving the thumbs up after a goal.


Griff after the game with snacks in hand - gotta love the snacks at a soccer game!!!

No comments:

Some of my favorite Griff pics - pre-blog