Friday, May 9, 2008

Oh the outrage!

Another story, let's see if this one gets the comments that my injury did! :-D

I'm driving down 90th south towards I-15 on my way to go get Griff for the weekend and I see a woman changing a tire on the side of the road. I immediately thought, I should stop and help her! But, since I was on my way to get Griff I didn't want to be late, so I didn't stop. Well, 2 seconds later I feel bad for not helping, so I turned around to go help. BOY, was I glad I did! I get there and the woman is no less than 8 months pregnant! Now, my first reaction is, "What the crap is a pregnant woman doing changing a tire, trying to have the kid on the side of the road?!?!?!?!?!?!?" Then my next reaction was, "This is one tough chick! Maybe she doesn't need help!!!" LOL

Well, I ask if I can help and she is totally nice and thankful, and proceeds to tell me that she hit a pothole on 90th (if you drive this road on the west side of I-15 - you know how bad it is! Might as well be a dirt road in freakin Mayberry it's so bad!) and her tire exploded! It was completely shredded, and her rim was bent (Sean can relate with this, only this girl's wheels weren't custom!) So, I help her out until her husband gets there a few minutes later and takes over - I had to go get Griff anyway, so I was happy I wasn't going to be late.

So, why the title of the post?

1) The road conditions on 90th South are ridiculously bad, practically criminal! And the fact that the city hasn't been out there to fix them is just asking for more of these blown tires, and one of these days it's going to cause a real wreck. How would the city feel if this pregnant woman had blown her tire and hit a telephone pole and gotten really hurt when she lost control of her car??? You'd think the resulting lawsuit would cost them a lot more than fixing some potholes! Though, this entire section of road needs to be replaced! If I blew a tire on that road, I guarantee the city would be paying of for it!

2) Why does NO ONE stop to help a pregnant woman? She already had the spare out of the trunk and was getting ready to fire up the jack when I got there, so she had obviously been there a few minutes and that road has heavy traffic! I'm not saying that a pregnant woman CAN'T do things, I'm saying I'm outraged that no one else thought to stop and help?!?!?!? I guess they went through the same thought process as me and whatever else they were doing was more important. It's too bad, especially in a place where service and helping others is supposed to be so important to us.

Anyway, I still think the best part of this story is the fact that this pregnant woman was 100% ready to change her own tire! I thought that was pretty awesome. She wasn't sitting there crying, but she was just as determined as could be to just do it! Even with her husband on his way, she was getting down to business until he got there instead of just waiting around, even though NO ONE would blame her for waiting! I would have taken a picture, since I know how some of you feel about not having pictures, but I didn't think she'd appreciate being on some random blog site! :-D

And, I made it in plenty of time to pick up Griff, so it all worked out! :-)

No comments:

Some of my favorite Griff pics - pre-blog