Saturday, September 13, 2008

Utah State Fair, or "how to eat fried foods"

I went to the Utah State Fair. I'm not sure I've ever been. I'm trying to remember if we used to go as kids in elementary school for a field trip, but I'm not sure. I THINK we did. Anyway, I had no idea what to expect, except they have deep fried PB&J sandwiches on a stick! I had to have one...or so I thought.

When we got there, we went into the displays in the first building we came upon. It was all weird sculpture, pottery, ceramics and carving. Seriously, it looked like you could pretty much submit ANYTHING to get a ribbon. There was also a huge display of scrap-book pages. I thought it was kind of weird you could get ribbons for scrap-book pages, but after seeing some of the aforementioned "sculptures" I wasn't surprised by anything anymore. It did appear that maybe 3 ladies and their kids had submitted scrap-book pages and won all the ribbons (and they seem to give away a LOT of ribbons!)

Then there was the butter sculpture:


Can you imagine how gross your hands would feel after doing this? Or would they be super soft like on Seinfeld? Anyway, seems like a weird excuse to play in butter.

We went and checked out a couple of other displays, it was kind of like a live infomercial for everything you never needed, it was kind of weird (have I stated that enough yet?) I don't know if we just missed it but there was no prize-winning pig, no Utah's biggest Watermelon, nothing! But you could buy a "Sham-WOW!!!" if you wanted to!

We did the big yellow slide that was kind of fun, and then I did the mechanical bull. Watch me wipe out in this video! My shoulder and neck are just now feeling good again. It is amazingly fun, yet really hard once he starts getting serious with the "bucking" part! It was so fun.


Then we got out to look for food. We had the DELICIOUS corn on the cob with a little butter and pepper, I also threw a little hot sauce on there, SO GOOD!!! WE really should have stopped with that, but we kept going. We had a corn dog and fries, a Navajo taco and a funnel cake. The funnel cake was the BIG mistake...BIG mistake. They taste good for a second then immediately go to work on your gastrointestinal track. HELLO pepto! Sheesh!

Back to the deep fried PB&J, we were in line to get one and we heard a kind of WT lady say they weren't good. If SHE didn't think they were good, there was no way I was going to waste $5 on one (Yeah, EVERYTHING at the fair is super pricey!) I bet she likes SPAM! ;-)

After that, we did the ferris wheel, but there were always doubts as to the safety of rides that are packed up and hauled around in semi's, so we didn't do anymore than that.

Still, it was pretty fun. Don't know that I'd go twice in one year, but there are many other fried foods to try! :-D

No comments:

Some of my favorite Griff pics - pre-blog