Monday, September 8, 2008

Trip to Tempe!

Some friends from ASU decided to have a little get-together in Tempe over the weekend. We stayed at the Buttes which is an interesting resort just off the 10 in Tempe. It is literally built right into and around the rock that sits about Tempe Diablo Stadium where the Angels play spring traning ball.

Looking out from the Lobby toward Camelback Mtn (can you see it in the distance?)

Looking down toward the pool.

Looking up at the restaurant

The pool was REALLY nice and we spent a lot of time out there. Bad idea for me since I've been using some medication to clear up my skin - I got a bit burned despite using sunblock. I don't think sunblock works in 110 degree AZ heat LOL

The pool from the bridge (see below)

My friend Scott getting his cannonball on!

On Friday night we went to a REALLY good Italian/Mediterranean restaurant called Cafe Boa on the famous Mill Ave in downtown Tempe. It was really good and a really nice meal to catch up with everyone. If you're ever in Tempe looking for a really nice restaurant at pretty reasonable prices, this is a really nice option. (No pics, my dumb phone camera doesn't have a flash)

On Saturday Night we went to Macayo's for some delicious Mexican food prior to the ASU vs Stanford football game at Sun Devil Stadium.
Clockwise from bottom left: Guido (came all the Way from Germany!), Lori (from LA), Andrea (from DC), Keith (from DC), Scott (from Minneapolis), Chang (from Chicago) and me.

Then we walked over to the stadium and marveled in the Gold that surrounded us. The crowd was really good and really loud. Sun Devil stadium is super loud. We all reminisced about when Jake Plummer took the Devils to a HUGE upset win over then #1 Nebraska 19-0 and we were there! It was so dang cool.


Sun Devil Stadium

Amongst the throngs of fans!

Looking down over the field at kickoff.

This game was very good too, the Devils won 41-17.



Then Sunday we went to breakfast together, chit-chatted for a while and then most of the gang had to take off.
This is the dining room at the hotel - this is the actual side of the mountain - the room is just built right into it, it's pretty cool.
Overall it was pretty fun. I'm glad I went, seeing old friends and of course seeing my #2 team win is always good.

No comments:

Some of my favorite Griff pics - pre-blog