Friday, April 10, 2009

Restaurant Review - Mikado

Since I've been adhering to my resolution to not eat out more than 2 times a week (doing very well with that by the way, thank you!) I haven't had the chance to file a restaurant review in a while. So here's one - Mikado Japanese Restaurant (just East of Southtowne Mall, next to 5-guys Burgers). My mission buddy Jeff Christensen and I have been trying to get to lunch for a while and it finally worked out the other day, and he recommended Mikado. I'd never been, and I like Sushi, so I was glad to go along. The ambience is nice, the service was good, and that's about where the "good" ended for me - or at least the great. I guess I've become somewhat of a Sushi snob (if that's possible in Utah???) but seriously if it's not Tsunami, I just don't like it much. We got several rolls that were on the lunch special (maybe that was a hint?) and we got one or two that weren't. The two we got that weren't specials were OK. The specials were not very good at all. The ingredients seemed fresh and the rolls were well made, but they just didn't have very good taste. And, they weren't super inexpensive - not too bad, but for the money, I would have rather had Tsunami all day long. I guess the silver lining is I know I'm not missing out on anything by never going to Mikado again. Really, I feel the same way about Happy Sumo too. The way I am, I'd just prefer to go to the place I KNOW is fantastic and not chance it with places I don't know. The cool thing about going to Mikado with Jeff, beside catching up with an old friend, was he has a frequent diner card there and it ended up cutting our bill in half, so that was nice - Thanks Jeff!!!

So overall, I'd give Mikado about a 2.5 out of 5. The food wasn't horrible it was just OK, and for the normal prices, I'd expect GREAT. If you like Sushi, go to Tsunami. ;-)

No comments:

Some of my favorite Griff pics - pre-blog