Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Best Rock Album in the last 20 years.

None of these are actually 20 years old, but I had to create a cut-off somewhere. Anyway, these are some of my favorites. If you don't like any of these but have another one, pick "other" and add a comment to this post for what you like.

For the Albums I chose, here are the reasons:

Each of these albums is SOLID start to finish. You'll find a lot of albums that one or two good songs and the rest are crap. These are complete albums

Each Album was unique for it's time - I remember when 10 came out thinking the world of Rock had just been completely changed and for the better. Every song was so raw and so intense and I think was completely superior to Nirvana's Nevermind, despite the accolades heaped on that album.

When Dookie came out it was the first really good "pop punk" album and every song is awesome - catchy, sing-along punk rock! I remember when they performed at Woodstock in about 94 and it was all muddy and the guitar player took a huge dirt-clod to the face and had a couple of teeth knocked out but he kept on playin!

Incubus's Make Yourself was so good (and holds up, no problem) that I literally wore out a CD that I played over and over and over (I also wore out Morning View!) They also put on one of the best live shows I've ever seen - Sean and I went when they came to PHX in probably '02 or so.

Evolver is my favorite 311 album, though they're all pretty good, this one is just great start to finish. And it's 311, nuff said!

So get your votes in - and No, FLO RIDA is not considered Rock, so it doesn't make the list - it is in the playlist at the bottom though :-D

5 comments:

PDH said...

I left a vote for Ten, it is definately one of the best. For 311, I would have put Transistor or the Blue Album, those are their best. Also, maybe a mention of Soundgarden - Bad Motor Finger, or Stone Temple Pilots - Core. Those are some great albums!!

reece said...

I put other because I like transistor the best for 311 and soundsystem is their best rock album. I like vitology or animal better than ten for pearl jam but ten is a good album. Green Day are lame corporate sell outs, pop-punk that's an oxymoron. Science is incubus's best rock album. For the last twenty years I would say for the last twenty years the best rock album would have to be metallica's black album solid rock n' roll start to finish including a sweet ballad. Many would say Nirvana's nevermind the best, I like the album but I think it's a little self serving and whiny.

Ryan Hadlock said...

Paul, also excellent choices, I just don't think either of those bands had the same impact Pearl Jam has had or even Green Day, sorry Reece, you may hate them but they started something big in the music industry...

And Reece, NICE POST! Jeez, great points, did you have that all ready to go in your head or did it take you a while to compose? Very lucid and meaningful! Though I do disagree 100% about the Pearl Jam albums (by the way, Animal is on VS, it's a song not an album) B-) The Black album is excellent, I went and listened to it as soon as I read your post!

reece said...

I meant vitology and vs. got a little confused so sorry. And I prefer punk like NOFX who gave the music industry the bird. All Greenday did was spawn copy cats like blink 182 or now a days fall out boy; blah I say blah.

Ryan Hadlock said...

I'm liking MXPX, Pennywise and Alkaline Trio a lot these days, but they are quite a bit more peripheral to the mainstream, that is true.

Some of my favorite Griff pics - pre-blog