Thursday, September 24, 2009

Stella grill



I realize I haven't posted anything for a while, so I figure a restaurant review is an easy enough post. I got a recommendation for Stella Grill in Murray - it's on about 4300 South and 9th East. I forgot to ask for a recommendation on dishes so, this was a complete experiment.

I asked the server what the specialties were and apparently they're not really famous for any one dish so he recommended several. We started with this really good goat cheese appetizer (very tasty but not as good as the rosemary flatbread at Trio - my absolute favorite) then had the red trout salad and the pork chop, with chocolate pie for dessert. I'm usually not a huge fan of trout but this dish was really good, highly recommended. The pork chop came with some funky fried mashed potatoes (not deep fried, like lightly pan-fried or something) that were AWESOME. The pork chop itself was just good, and reminded me why I never order a pork chop at a restaurant, I was left wishing I had gotten the open-face hanger steak sandwich - ALWAYS go with your first instinct! Then the chocolate pie was just ok, I've had way better.

The service was top-notch, very fast and friendly, the ambience is excellent, very calm and relaxing, the prices are very reasonable (nothing over $17) and the food is great (pork chop notwithstanding). I'd give Stella solid 4 out of 5 stars and I'd certainly go back. Thanks for the recommendation Chal!

2 comments:

The Patrona said...

Did you say pan-fried mashed potatoes AND trout???? Two of my favorites? I'm already salivating.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's such a funky, eccentric type place, but something new is always nice to try.

Now, hopefully the date was as great as the food....

:)

Jim Hadlock said...

Mom: You know you got this penchant for restaurant reviews directly from your father. It is torture to read the descriptions of such good food. Unfortunately Kiwis follow in the footsteps of English cooks and that is nothing to write home about.

Some of my favorite Griff pics - pre-blog