Monday, September 20, 2010

Donut Falls Hike

Griff and I went hiking to Donut Falls in Big Cottonwood Canyon. It was a PERFECT day! Griffin LOVED it! He is a little climber! I couldn't believe how easily he just went right up the rocks. He told me he practices at school on a rock-climbing wall. The best part was when he told me he can climb hard challenging sections by just staying calm and singing a song in his head. I asked him what song he sings and he said, "A 311 song". I about died laughing (and I was SO PROUD! hahahahaha!!!) So, I asked him which 311 song (he does sing along when we're in the car, so I didn't doubt him at all!) and he said, "I don't know the name of it, but it says 311 in it." I was chuckling the rest of the hike, that kid is pure comedy.


Starting off the hike - the weather could not have been better, it was perfect.


Griff liked the Camelpak water bottle with the hand grip, though it turned into a water gun at one point on the hike.

We reached the bottom of the falls and there's this cool old log there - makes for good pics as you can see.

Crossing the river without getting wet. Griff didn't go in the river once on the whole climb, he was very coordinated on the rocks and logs - so he never slipped off!

Griff scaled these rocks like a goat, he absolutely loved it. Said he wants to go hiking every time he comes home.

The camera angle doesn't do this justice, it was pretty steep and Griff went right up it, no problem.

This is the hole in the rock that give the falls it's name "Donut". I guess the water was kind of low, or erosion has changed the path of the river a little because the water used to pour right through here.

Griff wanted to keep going, so this is up above the falls, just a beautiful area and the leaves are starting to change.

Can't really tell because of the lighting, but this is looking back down into the canyon we just hiked up.

The bridge near the middle of the hike. Griff needed to stop and throw rocks in the river, of course.

No comments:

Some of my favorite Griff pics - pre-blog