Thursday, January 14, 2010

Snowbird

It's been a little while since I posted, so I figured I'd dig out some recent pics and make a post.

For those of you who may not know everything about me, when I was 11 I received my first set of skis for Christmas. I also got ski lessons at Sundance and I would go with a couple of my friends from the neighborhood - Danny and Greg, if I remember correctly. Anyway, I spent the next 7 winters skiing as much as I could. My senior year of High School I bet I was at Sundance more than school :-D (That's probably an exaggeration, but not by much.) Long story short, I was pretty good...until that fateful Saturday in December of 1989 when I landed a jump at Solitude, got hung up in some scrub oak, flipped foward and broke my elbow into many little pieces (if you're in Utah you can come check out the scars and maybe even still feel one of the titanium pins in there!) Sooooo, with that and with living in AZ, IL, and TX for 10 years, I didn't ski at all for a long time.

Since moving back to UT in 2005, I've been skiing a grand total of 5 times - just never got around to getting back on the horse and I didn't have equipment (I borrow Reece's stuff still - thanks Reece!!!) I took Griff a couple of winters ago, and that was fun, but I think he's going to want to learn to snowboard since that's what all the cool kids are doing these days...

So, I decided I need to hit the slopes and went up to Snowbird. This was my Christmas present to myself :-) It was one of the best days on the slopes I can ever remember - topped only by the time Mike Smith and I got to make first tracks in Bishop's Bowl at Sundance - that was so surreal just floating through the fresh powder - amazing. Well, I'm tired of typing, here are some pics...

I'm not in skiing shape yet, but it was a great day!
Look how beautiful that is! It wasn't even that cold, which made it really nice!
No, I'm not upside down because of a wreck, just thought it would make a cool pic.
Getting into some powder - that is real fun! The bumps and cruising were fun too!
This is the last run I took. I got kind of lost since I'd never been to Snowbird before and ended up on a run with a sign at the top that said "Cliff area, ski at own risk" Hmmmm, yeah. Well I made the run successfully (it was exhilerating! Luckily some people went right before me and showed me the line or I may have slid down on my bumb!) Reece's skis may need some p-tex repair though (is that what they still call it when you get the rock gouges in the bottom of skis repaired? :-D )

1 comment:

Jim Hadlock said...

I left the skiing comment on the pictures of Griff, anyway he looks great. His birthday is tomorrow, here in New Zealand anyway. Happy Birthday Griffin, We love you. Grandpa and Grandma H.

Some of my favorite Griff pics - pre-blog